Monday, January 26, 2009

Freeloaders

Okay, I used to express my frustration with homeless people all the time. I think though, worse than true homeless people, are those jerks who just try to hustle you for some change. Like if they had a job they might be able to take the subway...but instead they conjure up a little sob story and expect you to listen to it. I hate giving away money. Anyway, there is this dude who I have seen twice now at City Hall. Both times he asked me for "three fourths of a dollar." I am pretty good at math, but both times it caught me off guard. Who asks for three fourths of a dollar? Assholes that's who. If you suspect that people will give you money because you are not asking for a dollar, you're wrong. I was not afraid to tell this guy "you needed three fourths of a dollar last week dude." And it would be much easier to just give him a dollar! I was really annoyed with him.

When I ride the subway now I like to sit in the single seat, that way no one who smells will sit next to me, and depending on the day, no one will be able to smell me. I wonder if people recognize me as the girl in a bright yellow coat who is always playing Solitaire? I recognize people, like this one mismatched couple who wear the same clothes everyday. The dude never wears a coat. He wears a navy blue hoodie and olive pants. He has a haircut that reminds me of 1993 and grunge, not in a good way. And his girlfriend always wears the same jeans and jacket. I wonder if they each have their own closets filled with a bunch of the same outfit. I hope so. Not so much because it matters that they wear the same clothes everyday, but because that would be really amusing.

Nothing is new around here, except that my hair is gone. Not competely, but almost. I decided to cut it off, and I went through with it. As soon as I left American Mortals (praise be to Sandi, who is my stylist soulmate) the first person I saw was a crazy old black man who said "I like your boots!" Then he added, "And you're a very pretty girl." I smiled and said thank you. That's one thing I DO like about crazy old homeless men, sometimes they come up with something that really makes your day. In this case, he reminded me that I made the right choice by cutting my hair off. Maybe I am a pretty girl.

1 comment:

cwPhotography said...

3/4 of a $1? Ha. I don't like the complimenting homeless guys who take things too far. Like when they tell me I have a pretty smile and then ask me if they can "get up in that".